Washington, D.C., Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Credit Cards Accepted · Se Habla Español · Successful Results Since 2000

The United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) classifies all visas into two general types — immigrant and non-immigrant visas. In their simplest classification, immigrant visas are considered visas granting permanent residence status to the holders. These are often referred to as green cards. Non-immigrant visas grant the holders a temporary legal status to remain in the U.S. for an extended period of time under the specific terms of the visa.

Family Visa Sponsorship

Immigrant visas are also often thought of as family visas. Most family-based visa petitions are initiated when the sponsoring relative files an immigrant visa petition, also known as a Form I-130, with the appropriate Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center or U.S. Consulate abroad. The date of receipt of this petition by USCIS establishes the “priority date,” or place in line for an immigrant visa. Processing times for these petitions vary from several months or much longer depending on visa availability. When a petition is approved, and the “priority date” becomes current (i.e. after any applicable waiting line has passed), the sponsored individual may apply for an immigrant visa or, where eligible, apply for adjustment of status to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States. An immigrant visa permits the individual to become a legal permanent resident (“green card” holder) after admission to the United States with the immigrant visa.

Adult United States citizens may sponsor their immediate relatives (spouses, minor children and parents) as well as adult married and unmarried children and siblings for permanent residence and may apply for fiance(e) visas. Lawful permanent residents may sponsor their spouses and unmarried children (minor and adult) for immigrant visas. Some relatives who are legally present in the United States (or immediate relatives of US citizens who entered with non-immigrant visas) may adjust their status (get their green cards) in the United States. Other relatives (those who live abroad or who have not maintained legal status in the United States) must apply for their visas through consular processing in the country of the relative’s citizenship and/or legal residence.

Family visas

  • K-1 visas for fiance(e) of United States citizens
  • K-3 marriage visas for spouses of United States citizens
  • Visas for immediate family members of United States citizens (spouses, minor children, parents)
  • Visas for adult married and unmarried children of United States citizens
  • Visas for siblings of United States citizens
  • Visas for spouses and unmarried minor and adult children of lawful permanent residents
  • Visas related to International adoptions by United States citizens.

Extensive Experience Moving Petitions and Applications Through the Sponsorship Process

If you are an individual or business owner/operator in the Washington, D.C., area who is seeking to sponsor individuals to enter the U.S. on an immigrant visa, talk to the attorneys at Cecil C. Harrigan, PC., in Washington, D.C. With more than 20 years of experience each, attorneys Cecil Harrigan understand the strategies for helping people meet their visa goals. Our firm has extensive experience moving sponsorship applications through the consular process efficiently.

Flat Fee for Specific Legal Services

We know the precise steps necessary to move your immigrant visa petition through the sponsorship process smoothly. We offer a reasonable flat fee for legal services in many cases.

Bethesda Relative Visas Attorney

Our lawyers represent clients in Washington, D.C., and surrounding communities in Virginia and Maryland. Call us at 202-387-8866 or contact us by e-mail to arrange an initial consultation with an experienced Washington, D.C., immigrant visa attorney. If you hire us for a package of immigration legal services, the initial consultation fee will be credited to your retainer.